The Royal Doulton company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London trading as Jones, Watts & Doulton in 1815.
After Martha Jones left the partnership in 1820, the trade name was changed to Doulton & Watts. By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art.
Irving was a very astute businessman making the best of every opportunity afforded him.
He introduced modern methods of publicity such as window display competitions for retailers and he organised events attended by celebrities of the day.
The antique and collectible world of Royal Doulton is often complex and confusing.
There is a discreet hairline to the bowl noticeably only really from inside, otherwise in superb condition. Blue printed back stamp Dimensions: 32 cm x 26 cm / 12.75 ins x 10.25 ins Our ref: ASPH21170 Buy similar now Maker: Doulton Pattern: Asiatic Pheasants Meat Dish or Platter c1880 Lovely meat dish with wavy rim.
Dimensions: 20 cm diameter, 11 cm high / 8 ins diameter, 4.25 ins high Our ref: DOUL29415 Buy similar now Maker: Doulton Pattern: Asiatic Pheasants Meat Dish or Platter c1880 Lovely platter with wavy rim. A little smudging to the transfer in the curve of the dish otherwise barely a scratch to the surface.
The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The first to be engaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance.
In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries. Alban's Church was built in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1887 with Alexandra, Princess of Wales as one of the driving forces, Doulton donated and manufactured an altarpiece, a pulpit and a font.